Serious motor vehicle accidents are all too common occurrences in the United States, and Pennsylvania is no exception. According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, 129,395 motor vehicle crashes were reported to law enforcement in 2016 alone.
While 1,188 people died in these accidents, an additional 82,971 people were injured.
The injuries sustained in a car or truck accident can range from relatively minor to disabling or even deadly.
Some of the most common injuries include:
- Soft tissue injuries. Whiplash, bruising, swelling, stiffness, and other soft tissue injuries can cause considerable pain and discomfort. Depending on location and severity, some bruises may even be life threatening.
- Internal injuries. Internal bleeding and organ damage are common among the victims of serious motor vehicle crashes. In addition to organs damaged on impact, organs may also be punctured by bones broken in the accident.
- Burns. Car accident victims may be burned by hot vehicle components or fire. “Burns” may also refer to severe abrasion injuries caused when an ejected driver or passenger slides across the pavement.
- Broken bones. Bones may be fractured, broken, or crushed in an accident; broken bones can also puncture internal organs.
- Head traumas. When a victim hits their head during an accident, concussions, or traumatic brain injuries can result. Moderate to severe TBIs can leave victims with lifelong physical and cognitive deficits.
- Spinal cord injuries. Accidents can crush or dislocate vertebra, and may result in temporary or permanent partial or total paralysis.
- Amputations. Car crash victims may lose limbs in an accident or as a result of an accident-related injury.
- Emotional and psychological injuries. After a horrific accident, victims may develop depression, anxiety, or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) related to the crash.
Consult an Experienced Car Accident Attorney
If you were severely injured in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Let the Accident and Injury Law Group’s knowledgeable car accident attorneys help you understand your rights and explore your legal options for damages. Contact the Accident and Injury Law Group today to schedule an appointment for a free initial analysis of your motor vehicle accident case.